Search engine optimization, or SEO, is the process of optimizing a website so that it performs well in organic search results. “Performing well” can be defined in many different aspects, depending on the goals you set to achieve.
A search engine such as Google, can be thought of as an enormous online phonebook. Have you ever searched for a specific service by paging through the yellow pages? If so, were you more likely to notice a business at the top of the page or a listing at the bottom of the page? What caught your attention?
Ranking highly for meaningful search terms known as “keywords” increases the visibility of your website and ultimately leads to more visitors. More visitors viewing your products or services online increases your chance of acquiring more customers.
Factors such as the relevancy of your text content, the condition of your website, and mobile compatibility, among few, aid in determining how well your website will perform.
As a business owner you need to have a strategic plan in place to promote your business and obtain new clients – one of the reasons you invested in a website in the first place.
An SEO campaign is a vital part of this strategic marketing plan and here are just a few reasons why:
- 61% of global Internet users research products online. (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
- 86% of consumers stated that using a search engine allowed them to learn something new or important that helped him/her increase his/her knowledge. (Pew Research Center, Search Engine Use 2012)
- 60% of all organic clicks go to the organic top 3 search results. (Business2Community)
- 44% of online shoppers begin by using a search engine. (Interconnected World: Shopping and Personal Finance, 2012)
- SEO leads have a 14.6% close rate, while outbound leads (such as direct mail or print advertising) have a 1.7% close rate. (Search Engine Journal)
The statistics mentioned here arguably make SEO one of the most effective ways to connect with prospective clients.
To begin the journey of increasing your search engine visibility, send us an email!